Friday, August 7, 2015

Wings - Flimsy

Thanks to all of you who gave me your input into which setting you preferred for Wings.  The majority went with B and that was my first choice, once I played around after making A, which was the first first choice!  Here it is:


The wind yesterday did not permit a great outdoor shot, so I took this in the inside front entrance.  Yay for a retracting screen door so that I can get great light on quilt here!  I still tweaked two blocks.  I didn't like the two "non" colours, brown and black, to be both in the same row, so I brought some "light" into the bottom row and moved the brown beside the orange to help make it sing a little more, since the brown tones are a bit rusty or orangey.

Hard to believe it started here:
Had to haul the bench over to reach the top row! Forgot to take it away...
I love those circles; you never know, another one may just evolve into being yet.  Somehow the scrap boxes and ziploc bags do not seem to have reduced in bulk , even though there are over 500 logs in this quilt.  528 to be exact.  Amazing.  Also amazing that just turning two blocks a quarter turn resulted in the wings layout.

Quick outside shot before the breeze took it!
I love the dappled light on that one so had to include it.  I put this as my August ALYoF goal, to have a finished quilt.  It is Cynthia's 16th Scrap-a-Palooza quilt at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

I won't be doing much quilting this weekend.
Natalie MacMaster and Donnell Leahy! Pinch me!
I am volunteering once again this year at Kingsville's second folk fest.  It is held at Lakeside Park, half a block from my house which is SO exciting, and once again, they have a terrific lineup.  Last night was the volunteer appreciation soirée, cool to see so many familiar faces back, share pizza and drinks from a local winery, Cooper's Hawk Vineyards, and brewery, Walkerville Brewery.  :-)  With a name like that, their beer must be awesome, right?! And yes, it is Hiram Walker himself, not just a whiskey connoisseur, no relation, but I wish he was! As for Donnell Leahy, I saw him perform several years ago with his entire family, Leahy, in Edmonton.  I took my parents, because he was playing Don Messer's violin for the tour.  I was just a little girl, but I remember that show...and that dates me.  I haven't seen Natalie MacMaster yet, but I've been a fan of hers for years.  Ashley MacIsaac, J.P. Cormier, and Guy Davis are also here, all of whom I have seen, all terrific.

I was thinking yesterday how much music is a part of my life, something I have written about before.  I am not one who can 'watch' TV while quilting; I once tried to watch "Frozen", thinking I wouldn't really need or have the desire to pay attention to the screen...uh, yes I did.  I only missed about 10 minutes of that great movie.  Therefore, I listen to music ALL the time when I sew.  I love all kinds of music, except for country (2 songs and I'm ready to stick a fork in my eye), crazy jazz (same fork feeling), and, sorry dear brother, intense opera for prolonged periods of soprano singing...I can handle maybe 3 arias.... However, I love light opera, "Carmen", "The Barber of Seville", "The Magic Flute"... I digress.  With the rise of groups like Mumford and Sons, and Of Monsters and Men, I've rediscovered folk music.  If it is anything like last year, this year's folk fest will be a blast.

This morning--eeeep!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict.




17 comments:

  1. The pieced top looks great. It really is amazing what just a bit of "play" with block layouts can yield. Enjoy your weekend! You have lots of time to finish the quilt and meet your August goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great weekend! Thankfully no country music for you to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top looks fabulous! Have an awesome weekend, it sounds like LOTS of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great weekend. Good luck with achieving your August goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie MacMaster and Donnell Leahy? You'd have to pinch me, too...
    I loathe country, but I love bluegrass. (That was one of the things I liked about Pandora back in the days when I listened - they knew the difference.)
    Love your Wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Awesome.All 528 logs worth. Have fun at the folk festival. Leahy was brought to my attention years ago by way of Shania. Not all country music is bad, but I am not too fond of a lot of the current stuff. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Awesome.All 528 logs worth. Have fun at the folk festival. Leahy was brought to my attention years ago by way of Shania. Not all country music is bad, but I am not too fond of a lot of the current stuff. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished top is great - and yes, it's come a long way from the circles and I like the slightly tweaked layout. As for your weekend - I am more than a bit jealous; it sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors in your flimsy, and I'm glad you got it where you wanted it. Don't work too hard at that festival, though. You need to be rested for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listen to audiobooks while I sew sometimes. But it has to be the right one. And I love Of Monsters and Men! I just saw them play live in Calgary and it was a fantastic show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The top looks fabulous but I like the circles, too. I'm an audiobook fan when I'm sewing but, until recently, I didn't have the option of a tv in my quilt room and I find I can do that and sew, too.

    Regarding scraps, did you not know that making scrap quilts just makes more scraps? Scraps are a lot like coat hangers, too. I think when you turn out the lights and leave the room they are just a bunch of bunny rabbits and multiply like crazy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilt top and I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. although I said I loved the wings, the snowballs look wonderful too. I hope you enjoyed your music festival, wow, a festival within walking distance. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really like the wings layout and the colour placement choices you made really works well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That layout for Wings is exciting and fun to see Sandra! It's so different from most log cabins and has a lot of movement and visual interest. I like the snowball layout too.
    The Folk festival sounds like it must have been a blast. Hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt is beautiful and the stars coming to the folk fest - AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No! No forks poked in your eye over country music! My paintings all come together with country in the air! Ah, well... I suppose music is to the ears what art is to the eyes and food is to the taste buds... we all have our preferences... can learn to appreciate... but love what we love. :)

    ReplyDelete

I wholeheartedly appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment, as they make my day! I answer every one by personal email. :-) Unless... you are a "no-reply" blogger, which can occur for a few reasons. You can get around that by writing out your email within your comment so that I can answer you.