Saturday, October 26, 2013

Seaside Rose WIP

So here is the progress so far on the quilting of this quilt!
I am loving putting into practice the feathers in Angela Walters' Free Motion Quilting With Feathers Craftsy class.
I can't believe I freehand quilted those babies.  My swirl waves in the blue triangles of the prairie points need to be rounder at times, but the pebbling is looking good, and it IS tricky in those squishy areas.

Here is another shot on the other edge of the quilt, where I quilted feathers along the appliquéd vine:
I've decided to quilt a basic shell in the 1/2 square triangle squares (okay, that sounds weird).  It is my own design, and I drew the pattern myself! I use the Disappearing Ink end of the Mark-B-Gone pen to draw a few registration marks.  I can't draw...unless I have a picture to look at.  This idea came from a shell tablerunner pattern I have.  I'm quite pleased with how they are turning out!
Here is Tropical Flower, a design of Leah Day's:
And here is Leah's Etch 'n Sketch, which, when I used it on my Cloud 9 quilt, reminds me of water ripples when quilted horizontally.
Here's a feather design I drafted with pointers from Karen MacTavish's book and DVD, Mastering the Art of McTavishing.
This is Giant Snail, also Leah's:

In that picture, you can see a little of a Clouds design out of Gina Perkes' book Mastering the Art of Longarm Quilting, great book.  I also did one of her block motifs; you can see part of a petal, below the snail.  This quilt is a bit of a challenge to quilt, as the blocks are all on point; however, it's progressing slowly but surely.  I've spent a ton of time just picking out and deciding on designs.  I'm going to keep the shells consistent over the entire quilt top, but I'm doing 2 different designs in each of the 9-patch rows.  At this point, I think I will do 4 rows of 2 different designs each, and then repeat that, since there are 8 rows of the 9-patch blocks.

This quilt will go to Florida.  Funny, I bought the kit in an adorable blue wicker picnic basket in Cochrane, Alberta, within sight of the Rockies.  Little did I know then the quilt would end up in my own Florida condo!  For pretty much my whole life, I've wanted to live on the Gulf.  I must have spent another very good lifetime there as it has always had such a draw for me, even though I never laid eyes on it until 2004.  One month and I'll be back there!


1 comment: